top of page

15 Plants Toxic to Dogs

Toxic Plants

While this certainly isn’t an exhaustive list of toxic plants for dogs, the following are some of the more common toxic plants that may be around our homes or found in the yard:


1. Amaryllis Popular during the spring holidays, this plant can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and tremors

2. Azalea Prevalent in many backyards, this common plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in blood pressure, weakness, cardiac failure, coma, and can even be life-threatening

3. Bird of Paradise Not to be confused with the less toxic Strelitzia reginae, this plant, if consumed, can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, mild nausea, drowsiness, and difficulty swallowing

4. Daffodil A favorite of gardeners, this plant can cause vomiting, hypersalvation, diarrhea, arrhythmia, convulsions, and low blood pressure

5. Daisy A common flower both in gardens and flower arrangements, if consumed, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, incoordination, and dermal allergic reactions

6. Eucalyptus This plant, if consumed, can cause excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and weakness

7. Hyacinth Consumption can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and tremors

8. Hydrangea Brightly colored but toxic, this plant can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal disturbances

9. Iris While the entirety of this plant is toxic, the rhizomes (underground stem) are most potent and, if ingested, this plant can cause vomiting, drooling, lethargy, and diarrhea

10. Calla Lily If one of these uniquely shaped flowers is ingested, it can cause oral irritation, a burning sensation on the tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing

11. Morning Glory These cone-shaped flowers can cause vomiting and even hallucinations

12. Rhododendron It only takes consuming a few leaves to create a severe reaction, including excessive drooling, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, colic, depression, weakness, stupor, paralysis, cardiovascular collapse, or worse – your dog may become comatose or even die

13. Jade The jade plant is toxic to dogs. Consumption can cause vomiting, a slow heart rate, incoordination, and depression, which can be hard to spot

14. Tomato plants Are tomato plants toxic to dogs? While the popular fruit produced by this plant isn’t poisonous, unripe tomatoes can still pose a danger. Plus, the plant itself is toxic to dogs. If consumed, symptoms produced can include: hypersalivation, severe upset stomach, depression, weakness, dilated pupils, and slow heart rate

15. Tulip Pretty but poisonous, the bulb of this plant, if ingested, can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, and nausea


For a more complete list of plants that are toxic to dogs, check out this list compiled by our strategic partner The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®).

Symptoms

If your pal consumes something poisonous, a plant or other hazardous material, there are some telltale signs, as noted above, that will alert pet parents. Common symptoms of poison consumption include:

  • Lethargy

  • Weakness

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhea

  • Drooling

  • Nausea

Severe symptoms often include:

  • Agitation

  • Extreme sedation

  • Seizures

  • Coma

What You Should Do

If you believe your dog has consumed a poisonous plant – or anything poisonous for that matter – contact your veterinarian or an emergency clinic immediately. It can be helpful to the veterinarian if you know or can identify the plant your pooch ingested. If your dog vomited, bringing a sample with you may be beneficial for testing, analysis, and for determining the proper treatment.

While you are on your way to the veterinarian or emergency clinic, consider contacting the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for more information from poison control experts. The center offers a 24-hour emergency hotline.


Treatment

Depending on the situation, treatment can go in a few different directions. While this can certainly be a scary situation, it’s in your – and your pooch’s – best interest to be calm and collected. If you act frantic or extremely distressed, it can have an adverse effect on your buddy.

Here are a few tips in case your dog eats a poisonous plant:

  1. Contact the vet immediately, as your dog may need to have their stomach pumped or to receive activated charcoal to bind the toxins

  2. Do not induce vomiting unless it’s recommended by your vet (vomiting can exacerbate the problem)

  3. Perform CPR if your dog is not breathing

9 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page